Nick Wilkshire is a lawyer and author of seven novels. He grew up in St. John's and spent five years in Whitehorse, Yukon before moving to Ottawa, where he now lives with his wife. They have three adult children and one grandson (so far).
1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?
I've always been a part-time writer so in some ways it didn't change much. On the other hand, I'll never forget the email saying that my first book was being published and I've kept writing ever since. The way I approach publication now is much different – wanting to do absolutely everything I can before it goes out, as opposed to just being satisfied that it's being published. As a result, I know that my most recent book (The Hunt) is much more polished than the first.
2 - How did you come to fiction first, as opposed to, say, poetry or non-fiction?
I've always enjoyed reading mysteries and thrillers so it made sense for me to write in those genres.
3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?
I've gotten into the habit of starting a book after Labour Day week-end, after spending several months on an outline. So by the time I get started, it tends to go quickly. Mostly, first drafts are rough approximations of the final product but there have been some books that have changed substantially from first to last drafts
4 - Where does a work of fiction usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?
It's always a book. It starts as a concept, then it gets fleshed out into an outline over several months.
5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?
I feel like the Sean Connery character in Finding Forrester when it comes to readings but one thing I've learned over seven books is that the work of an author doesn't end when the final draft is done. Readings are just a part of the work that follows and while I don't love doing them, I do enjoy talking about a particular book, or writing in general.
6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?
My main goal as an author is to write the kind of stories that I would enjoy as a reader and that hopefully appeal to other readers as well.
7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Do they even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?
I worry about the impact of AI but I see writers as chroniclers of their times, which is why I try to make my stories as authentic as possible, with elements drawn from headlines or current events.
8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?
It's both, for sure. It's never easy to be asked to change something you've laboured over for months or years but other perspectives are important and the end result is always an improved product
9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?
I have a few inspirational quotes around my writing desk, mostly about persistence. Thomas Perry has a few good ones, including: “Whether things are going well or badly, it's useful for a writer to remember that the most powerful force in human life is luck. The second most powerful force is persistence.”
10 - What kind of writing routine do you tend to keep, or do you even have one? How does a typical day (for you) begin?
As a part-time writer, it's a constant struggle to carve out time for writing. For me, it's in the early evening. I'll usually start a novel in September and have a daily goal of 45 minutes or 750 words, whichever comes first, six days a week. By Christmas, I'm usually getting close to the end of the first draft.
11 - When your writing gets stalled, where do you turn or return for (for lack of a better word) inspiration?
Sometimes it's a matter of sitting at the keyboard and working it out. Other times, I'm walking the dog and the solution to the plot dilemma that's been bugging me for days just presents itself.
12 - What fragrance reminds you of home?
Salt - I'm from St. John's, so a whiff of an onshore ocean breeze is all I need to bring me back there.
13 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?
I put a lot of emphasis on setting so nature is a big one for me. My most recent book – The Hunt – is set in the Yukon, which is a place like no other. The way the characters respond to that rugged, remote environment is a key part of the story. I also have a specific playlist that's always on when I write, so music is an indirect influence as well.
14 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?
I have my favourite writers but I also enjoy finding new ones. I recently came across a fantastic series of detective novels from a writer I'd never heard of before (Adrian McKinty), set in Northern Ireland during the Troubles.
15 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?
Be a full-time author
16 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?
I'm a lawyer by day but if I had my time back, I might have tried travel writing, or maybe an airline pilot
17 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else?
Writing has always been a creative outlet for me – plus it's always fun to be able to create alternate worlds where you control everything that happens!
18 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?
I clicked the wrong button recently and accidentally bought Scott Turow's Presumed Innocent (I was trying to buy one of his more recent books). Considering it was published in 1987 I was expecting it to seem dated but it's not – it's amazing. Maybe I'll try and re-watch the film when I'm finished the book!
19 - What are you currently working on?
Something set in the North Atlantic...
12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments:
Post a Comment