Friday, April 08, 2022

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Pamela Korgemagi

Pamela Korgemagi is a graduate of York University’s creative writing program. The Hunter and the Old Woman is her debut novel. She lives and works in Toronto.

1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?

Publishing my first book with House of Anansi has put me in touch with a community I wasn’t in touch with before, which has been much appreciated (especially these past two years). It has also that I’m not a total weirdo for spending hours and hours scratching away on some paper. There are other people who devote themselves to the production and consumption of literature, other devotees.

2 - How did you come to fiction first, as opposed to, say, poetry or non-fiction?

As a child I was a prolific liar. I wasn’t trying to be mean or trick anyone. I just found that life was a bit dull, a bit colourless sometimes, and I felt compelled to add some flare. Switching out one word for another, manipulating the sequence of events, a certain pacing in my delivery. I had to add something to liven things up. I feel like this was a natural progression toward becoming a writer.

3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?

I work super slowly. I wish I didn’t. I write things down out of order, whatever comes to me first. Later I assemble pieces in the ‘order’ they are meant to go in. This ‘order’ isn’t decided by me, it is preordained. I do make lots of notes which are often just questions to myself. I’m trying to shape out the parts I can’t see. Even into the last drafts certain things might change. It’s kind of a fluid process.

4 - Where does a poem or work of fiction usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?

I always know I’m working on a novel. I’m a terrible poet so I leave that alone, though I do enjoy reading poetry a great deal. I usually know some of the beats of the narratives, but sometimes I only know ‘how it ends’ or ‘how it begins’. I do the writing to figure out the rest.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?


I’ve never read to a large group of people before and I haven’t had a chance yet to give any readings for this book. But I find myself looking forward to the opportunity to do so. When I was in grade school I volunteered for a summer-reading program where I read to younger kids at the library so maybe that prepared me in some way. Of course, when it actually comes up there’s always the possibility that I might feel differently.

6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?

I think as human beings we will always be concerned with identity. This seems to be the constant question for us. It’s a good one to ask.

For The Hunter and the Old Woman, I was really interested in the collision between the human world and the animal world, is there really a division? Are we not just animals?

7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Does s/he even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?

I think of the writer as kind of like a court jester. Yes, it’s his job to entertain, but usually he was highly educated. He was the only one who could get away with criticizing the king. We need these people to point out our errors, keep us honest.

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: