Monday, October 30, 2023

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Kim Rosenfield

Kim Rosenfield is a poet and psychotherapist. She is the author of several books of poetry, including USO: I’ll Be Seeing You from Ugly Duckling Presse (2014). She is the 2023 recipient of the FENCE Ottoline Prize. Her latest book, Phantom Captain, will be published by FENCE in fall 2023. Rosenfield is an originating member of the international artist/writers collective, Collective Task. Her clinical writing can be found in Psychoanalytic Dialogues and Studies in Gender and Sexuality. She lives and works in Brooklyn, NY.

1 - How did your first book or chapbook change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?

My first chapbook, SOME OF US (Ouija Madness Press), came out when I was 15 years old.  It took me from writing alone in my teenage bedroom to having a community and place for my work to be seen and heard.  It helped get me to college.  It most certainly changed my life.  I also though that poetry could change the world. I don’t think that now.  I was new to it all.  It was an unprecedented  time, the Beyond Baroque 80’s Los Angeles poetry scene.

Over the years my work has become darker, more complex, less youthfully confident than that early work, but I still feel connected to it as a formative template of everything I continue to think and write about today.  Just with more life lived and much more uncertainty mixed in.

2 - How did you come to poetry first, as opposed to, say, fiction or non-fiction?

I came to poetry alongside fiction and am a lifelong reader of both. I was a voracious reader with a library card and a parent willing to drive me to our local branch.  I  read everything  In addition, I loved  language absorbed through cereal boxes, shampoo bottles, magazine ads, t.v. jingles, synagogue prayers, music, arguments, newscasts, my grandparents accents, etc.  all were a kind of poetry.  The form didn’t much matter so much.

3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?

Slowly, over months and years, with endless lines in endless note books.  Eventually loosely refashioned together like a sewing pattern. Then refined and edited and then edited some more, then finished in a “final” form even though all my work is just one continuous thread spooling out  from book to book.

4 - Where does a poem usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?

See above.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?

I love giving readings and speaking my work out loud. There’s bodies and voices and bloodstreams and smells and laughter and coughing fits and rustlings an yawns, and eyes closed and walking out, and street noise, and mic static,  etc. which I find so exciting!  It’s more and less intimate at the same time.  The work gets changed in a collective listening space.  I don’t know  how to describe it  but  so much happens to the poems in a room when read aloud to others.

6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?

What does It mean to be human is all I ever think about.

7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Do they even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?

I don’t really think about this in any significant way. 

8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?

It depends on who it is but I generally like having another mind in on the work, and being in the fortunate position of having someone pay such close attention to my writing is a gift.

9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?

Don’t listen to anyone else’s advice

10 - What kind of writing routine do you tend to keep, or do you even have one? How does a typical day (for you) begin?

I don’t have a routine.  I have a  demanding job so I write when I have available time and energy.   A typical day, however, ALWAYS begins with coffee.  Lots of coffee.

11 - When your writing gets stalled, where do you turn or return for (for lack of a better word) inspiration?

It depends how stalled and for how long but usually conversations with other poets.

12 - What fragrance reminds you of home?

L’Heure Blue and damp kitty litter

13 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?

All of the above mentioned + animals + insects

14 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?

A sampling:

Freud, Bion. Klein, Winnicott, LaPlanche, Kristeva, Weil, Iregary, the Barangers, Abraham and Torok, Gail Scott, Leonora Carrington, Virginia Woolf, Jean Rhys, Marguerite Duras, Etel Adnan, Buckminster Fuller, Samuel Becket… I could go on and on

15 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?

Retire

16 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?

I love my work as both a therapist and a poet.  There’s nothing else that I would ever do.

17 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else? 

I’ve always written and done something else simultaneously.

18 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?

Book: The Hearing Trumpet—Leonora Carrington

Film: Meshes of the Afternoon—Maya Deren

19 - What are you currently working on?

It’s a surprise!  Hint: think “Spanish Inquisition.”

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: