Saturday, October 07, 2023

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Shannon Bramer

Shannon Bramer writes poems, plays and short fiction. She is the author of Climbing Shadows: Poems for Children, illustrated by Cindy Derby, and several poetry collections for adults, winning the Hamilton and Region Arts Council Book Award for her first book, suitcases and other poems. Shannon’s plays include Chloe’s Tiny Heart Is Closed (for children) and The Hungriest Woman in the World. In 2020 Book*hug press published TRAPSONGS, a collection of Shannon’s plays. Robot, Unicorn, Queen, illustrated by Irene Luxbacher, is out this month with Groundwood Books. She lives with her family (and two beautiful old cats) in Toronto, Ontario.

4 - Where does a poem usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?

It's a little bit of both at this stage; poems always start with a word or a line or a voice stuck in my head, but once a few have arrived I usually notice something tying all the little pieces together and an idea for a book happens.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?

I love giving readings; I am always exceedingly nervous about the before and after (small talk and socializing!) because I am on the shy side, but something happens when I occupy my work and have an audience--it's electrifying and so much fun. Readings always help me refine poems as well. I often read to test audiences (the kids I work with!) and learn where things work rhythmically, emotionally and also where things land (or don't!) in terms of the humour in my poems.  

8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?

Editors are amazing and essential. Editors are attentive to details, they ask important questions, they push you to see your work from different angles. I have also found that having an editor helps a writer unpack and articulate why they might make certain choices. I've been blessed with incredible editors over the years: Alana Wilcox, Jen LoveGrove, Nan Froman and last but not least, David Derry, my husband--who is one of the best writers and toughest editors out there!

9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?

Travel--you have to travel, Shannon. My Nana Bramer always said that. And I think she's right; and I've tried to do that both on and off the page.

10 - How easy has it been for you to move between genres (general poetry to poetry for kids)? What do you see as the appeal?

I think having children and working with children means that I am immersed in a world of language and conversation and observations that I am always internalizing. I love kids as much as I love poetry. I love listening to them, I am dazzled by their ideas, sensitivities, bravery, humour--so I love trying to make them laugh, feel, and think with poems. I want to help them see themselves, how beautiful they are, how funny, how much they teach the adults. They are not always easy to impress, so writing poems for them is a delightful and thrilling challenge.

13 - What fragrance reminds you of your childhood?

Cigarette smoke! My mama is a long-time smoker of many cigarettes.

14 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?

All of the above for me! I get a little obsessed with something--a variety of mushroom, or a painting, or a song or an artist--and I will pour my heart into finding out as much as I can about it/them. The obsessions often lead to poetry.

15 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?

There are so many writers that have been important to me over the years; I have a few close friends who are writers and I am so grateful for the ways they inspire me and also cheer me on when I need it. My husband, Dave, is the most important, to be honest. He knows when I'm not working enough on my writing I can get very down; he pushes me through those slumpy phases.

16 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?

Practise mandolin consistently and learn how to play more than one song!

18 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else?

I love writing and I have needed writing my whole life. Like most writers I have always done other things alongside writing. I am a mother of three, I work in a nursery school, I teach poetry, I've been a lunchroom supervisor and a bookseller. I am also a passionate cook; cooking is a kind of poetry for me and when I'm cooking I become hyper-focused in the same way that I do when I'm writing poetry.

19 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?

The Vegan Chinese Kitchen by Hannah Che. The recipes are as beautiful as the stories and photography in the book. The first one to come to mind is Little Orphans, written by Newfoundland playwright and filmmaker, Emily Bridger and directed by Ruth Lawrence. It's a love letter to St.John's, and explores what it means to show up, as mother, as a friend. It's an austere but tender film that broke my heart.

20 - What are you currently working on?

I'm working on the edits for a new book of poetry for young audiences, forthcoming in 2025. It's called Nightmare Jones and I am so excited about it because it will be for slightly older kids. There's scorpions and monsters and lots of spiders in this book. All the best things.

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: