Monday, September 04, 2023

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Denise Da Costa

Denise Da Costa [photo credit: Samuel Engelking] is a Canadian author and visual artist whose debut novel And the Walls Came Down, was published in Summer 2023. She studies Creative Writing at the University of British Columbia and is an alumna of the Humber School of Writers and the Diaspora Dialogues mentorship program. Her work explores the complications of love and the impact of gender, race and class on identity formation.
 
1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?
And the Walls Came Down is my debut novel and though there have been few, if any, material changes in my life thus far - it feels like I'm finally on the right path with my writing journey.

2 - How did you come to fiction first, as opposed to, say, poetry or non-fiction?
I naturally gravitated to the narrative format that I enjoyed reading and writing most.
 
3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?
When I'm fortunate enough for timing and inspiration to occur in unison, writing can be fluid, however, it can happen in ebbs and flows over long periods of time which can impact the subsequent drafts significantly for someone early in their writing practice.

4 - Where does a work of prose usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?
In most cases, shorter pieces are generally summaries or glimpses into a much larger idea. I tend to set out to write novels but I'm learning how to enjoy the practice of writing shorter works. It's a great way to exhaust myself of old pent up ideas and once those have been documented I can access fresh material.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?
I have never done a public reading ! However, my first such event is soon approaching. I'll let you know how it goes.

6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?
I try to pose questions through my work, rather than answer them. Though ideas and interests will change over time, the construction of identity is something I enjoy exploring. What lies at the core of the individual, and how do the constraints of one's culture, place, race, gender and class impact the construction of our individual identities?

7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Do they even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?
I like to think of the writer as one who catalogues the human experience - imaginative and factual. We attempt to extract the observable and unobservable qualities of lives that can be experienced by anyone with access. We create and interpret the story behind the photograph. The words behind the music. The dialogue that frames the film. We share a responsibility (with other artists) who aim to communicate the essence of living.   

8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?
My own experience working with external editors has been both an essential and pleasant part of the journey to bringing a project to completion.

9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?
"It's not ready. Hire an editor."

10 - How easy has it been for you to move between genres (fiction to essays to visual art)? What do you see as the appeal?
As a multi-disciplined artist, I find moving from visual art to writing to be as natural as switching between typing up screenplay and writing a short story the next day. One creation inspires the next - a continuation of an evolving story.

11 - What kind of writing routine do you tend to keep, or do you even have one? How does a typical day (for you) begin?
I do not have a writing routine - but I'm working on it. A demanding career makes it difficult but working with a writing group keeps me accountable.

12 - When your writing gets stalled, where do you turn or return for (for lack of a better word) inspiration?
I read. I read books that make me want to write (often I turn to non-fiction!).  

13 - What fragrance reminds you of home?
Burning wood.

14 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?

Film, Music and Cooking seems to seep through my work quite a bit.

15 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?
I find it important to read essays on narrative, get lost in a literary magazine, and read genres other than what I'm writing at the time.

16 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?
See a film produced from a screenplay I've written.

17 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?
I work in corporate, focusing on people leadership and technology so writing is the occupation I'd like to move into.

18 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else?
I've been writing as long as I can remember, but wasn't brave enough to commit to it the first time around.

19 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?
Truth Telling, Michelle Good and Oppenheimer.

20 - What are you currently working on?
A speculative fiction.

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: