Kelly Kaur grew up in Singapore. She works and plays in Calgary. She is a writer, author, speaker and an educator. She was awarded the Top 25 Canadian Immigrant Award, the Calgary South Asian Inspiration’s Outstanding Arts and Culture award, nominated for a Pushcart Prize, and won Honourable Mention in the International Human Rights Art Movement in New York. Kaur’s poem, “A Singaporean’s Love Affair,” landed on the moon in 2024 — the first historic library and an Artemis Accords Heritage Site. Her novel, Letters to Singapore, will go up in 2026. Kaur has a passion for human rights and is a creative writing instructor and Special Projects Editor for the International Human Rights Art Movement, New York. She has a children’s book, Howdy, I’m Singh Hari that was introduced to and celebrated at the Alberta Legislature in Edmonton for honouring Punjabi Sikh culture and was just shortlisted for the 2026 Alberta Book Publishing Awards. Her creative works have been danced to on stage, displayed on beer cans, at museums and art galleries, placed outdoors at Leighton Art Centre, and is on a permanent display at the Little Museum of Poetry in Italy.
1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?
My first book was a novel, Letters to Singapore. It was a dream to see it published by Stonehouse Publishing. It changed my life by giving me the inspiration to write more, be braver, and take more chances. I also met the 3 other incredible authors who were also published by Stonehouse, and we became friends. We launched our books in Calgary, Edmonton, Regina and Vancouver, and the experience was incredible. My second book was a children's book about the first Sikh immigrant in Alberta - Howdy, I'm Singh Hari. This book was well-received and one I am proud of as well. It has also been shortlisted for the Alberta Publishing Book Award for the Children and Young Adults Book of the Year. I love the feedback from everyone who has read this book, especially the children I have read the book to at schools and presented it online for the Calgary Public Library, and anyone can still access it for free. My third book is My Love is a Durian - this poetry collection is coming out on October 15, 2026, is yet another incredible vision come true. I did not think I had a collection of poems at all until, one day, I counted how many poems I had that had been published in anthologies all over the world. These poems are special to me - from my heart and soul.
2 - How did you come to poetry first, as opposed to, say, fiction or non-fiction?
I always wanted to write poems. I thought it was easy. I struggled, continued, gave up, read more, wrote more, edited, and, thankfully, I kept at it. I love the beauty of poetry. I want to keep evolving, experimenting and writing more. Since I write in many genres, I love dabbling and moving from one genre to the other.
3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?
I wish that I had a million dollars and not have to work full-time. Therefore, I go with the flow and steal whatever time I have. The first novel took me 100 days because I was selected and was in a 3-month writing mentorship for BIPOC writers. I really wanted to write that bucket list novel. I also had an incredible mentor, Aritha van Herk. The second one, Howdy, I'm Singh Hari, was faster to write but more laborious to start as I had to interview and research more before I could even begin. For the poems, I love to procrastinate from marking university essays, so I would meander off from grading essays and would write a poem, instead. Often, I begin with an idea – for example, my Papa. Then, I continue with throwing out some words/images/descriptions and recalling those special memories. Voila - I see the makings of a rough draft poem. Then, I come back to it every day to edit until it takes that shape that I like - it can take 2-5 days per poem. It is much more fun than marking!
4 - Where does a poem or work of prose usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?
I am a thinker, dreamer and crafter “in my mind and imagination” type writer. I have so many ideas for a novel, and I am open to any opportunity that comes up. I have so many ideas brimming and overflowing in my brain. When I see a theme or a call, I am inspired to submit a piece. This year, I had 4 pieces accepted in 4 different anthologies - short stories, a poem and creative non-fiction.
5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?
Luckily, my toastmasters' experience has given me the practice, training and confidence to present with joy. I made it to the top 100 toastmasters around the world, represented Alberta and Saskatchewan at the 2017 Toastmasters World Championship of Public Speaking in Vancouver. Then, in 2025, I was selected to give 2 different TEDx talks at Western University and McMaster University, both talks 3 weeks apart. All these experiences have made me enjoy doing my book readings, though I still get butterflies in my tummy.
6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?
For me, personally, I explore my own questions and concerns of being an immigrant, a woman and a writer of colour. In my writing, these concerns, fear and challenges are examined and prodded by the characters as well. I hope that readers can share these observations, empathize, sympathize and think about these invisible issues. Sadly, the current issues of immigration and colour persist today.
7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Do they even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?
A writer should write. They should share their passion for storytelling. They should weave stories that capture their own imagination and those of their readers. Some want to entertain. Some want to make a point. Some want to educate. Some want to experiment. Some do all. A writer should do whatever they want to do.
8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?
I have been very lucky in that I had 2 amazing editors. Lisa Murphy Lamb from then Stonehouse Publishing was my editor for Letters to Singapore. She was incredible. I looked at her notes and suggestions and ended up adding 100 pages to my novel. I appreciated her insights. For My Love is a Durian, I watched with wonder and amazement as the brilliant Aritha van Herk, University of Calgary Press, shuffled pages and pages of my poems on the table and came up with the thoughtful plan and planning of the themes, besides her astute edits. I learnt so much from my editors and was grateful for the end result. Essential!!!
9- What fragrance reminds you of home?
I grew up in Singapore. I go home very year to visit family and friends. It is a beautiful garden city. Here are two flowers I remember. I grew up surrounded by bougainvillaea and the intoxicating scent of the flowers of the frangipanni tree – the Singapore graveyard flower associated with the Malay ghost lady called a Pontianak. Of course, any Singaporean will talk nonstop about the smell of Singapore food. Go to any hawker centre and be mesmerized and enticed. I mention food in many of my poems. Yes, the durian is that one scent that anyone who knows this fruit loves or hates. Indeed, My Love is a Durian.
10 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?
I would love to write a play! I can imagine my novel, Letters to Singapore, as a play on stage.
11 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?
I still dream about being a lawyer. When I was a young girl growing up in Singapore, I gave up on focussing on school because I grew up in a strict family where I was expected to have an arranged marriage like my grandmother at 15, my mother at 16, and my sister at 21. Oh, my grades were awful because I was too pessimistic and did not study enough to get those A grades. It was a miracle that I passed my A level exams, ended up at the Institute of Education, and became a teacher. And yes, I did run away from an arranged marriage.
12 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?
You don’t need that house in Canmore facing the Rockies to inspire you to write. Just write, ok! Advice given to me by me.
No comments:
Post a Comment