Tuesday, February 14, 2023

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Justene Dion-Glowa

Justene Dion-Glowa is a queer Metis poet, artist and beadworker. They were born in Winnipeg and currently live in BC, Canada. They are a Banff Centre for the Arts and Creativity Alumnus. Their microchap, TEETH is available from Ghost City Press. Trailer Park Shakes, their first poetry collection, is available from Brick Books.

1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?
Trailer Park Shakes is my first official book of poetry. While I wouldn't say my life is hugely different, I do think about my 11 year old self writing poetry, and how crazy it would be to let that kid know they one day they have a real book. I have also had lots of opportunity to connect with people through this work, which has dispelled a lot of the imposter syndrome I have felt as a new poet without a local scene to support me.

2 - How did you come to poetry first, as opposed to, say, fiction or non-fiction?

I started writing poetry as a means of coping with my childhood trauma all the way back in grade 6. I think at the time it offered me an opportunity to create something interesting or beautiful - and I had a lot of support from my teacher at the time to continue writing. He also encouraged me to speak openly about the content of the work with my class, which has served me well now that I have to read for strangers.

3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?

I don't approach my work as projects, but more like collections. I tend to work on one poem until I feel satisfied with it, and then move on to the next. In this way the collection builds and becomes a project.

4 - Where does a poem usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?
A poem is really a moment in time for me, captured. So while this book is certainly not a collection I planned out, I do have ideas about collections that have a more uniform subject matter across the whole work.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?
I have really enjoyed public readings, and I think as I continue to do them, they will definitely become an important piece of the poetry things for me.

6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?
I don't concern myself with much besides the moment I'm writing about in terms of theory. I don't know that my work answers deep questions, only ensures people with similar experiences don't feel alone.

7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture? Do they even have one? What do you think the role of the writer should be?
I believe that all art in general is the last place people can actually be themselves and express their real thoughts. We live very compartmentalized and individualized lives now, and my hope is to connect to community through the writing. Connection is the role of the writer.

8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?
While having my first book edited was challenging for me, it was absolutely essential. We become attached to our work and I think the editing process can make a person feel misunderstood and underestimated in some ways. But I certainly feel the book has benefitted in amazing ways because of my two editors.

9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?
The best advice I've ever received was to get paid to be me. Poetry is one piece of that, workshops are too, and so are other forms of art. I am fortunate to have the privilege to do this at least some of the time!

10 - What kind of writing routine do you tend to keep, or do you even have one? How does a typical day (for you) begin?
I don't have a routine because as mentioned, I tend to write about moments, or in moments of inspiration. I need to put more effort into making time for writing, though.

11 - When your writing gets stalled, where do you turn or return for (for lack of a better word) inspiration?
I turn to the writing of others for sure. Some folks with completely different writing than my own can be very inspiring.

12 - What fragrance reminds you of home?

Home as a concept is too fractured for me. I can't answer this.

13 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?
Definitely music has inspired my work, and nature as well. As I said reading the work of others is inspiring as well.

14 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?
Indigenous poets tend to create work that I find deeply meaningful and relatable.

15 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?
A hybrid work that's both literary and visual - art gallery style.

16 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?

If I could make enough money doing it I would be a barista - I absolutely adore coffee and the craft of making it.

17 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else?

I do a lot of different creative things. I think the main reason I returned to it was because of how fulfilling it was in my past.

18 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?

I'm currently reading Bent Back Tongue by Garry Gottfriedson, and I just keep picking it back up again and again.

19 - What are you currently working on?
I'm currently doing art workshops and developing more intensive poetry workshops, as well as more poetry of course.

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: