Lori Lubeski’s latest book is in another language. She is also the author of estranged domain, has the river of the body risen, and pilgrimage foliage. She lives in Connecticut.
1. How did your first book change your life?
My first book was a little chapbook that Scott Macleod made for e.g.press while I was at San Francisco State. It was extremely validating and felt like it legitimized my position as a poet in the world. The fact also that someone liked my work enough to put a book together was so exciting for me.
My most recent work… it’s funny because I always go back to that first book— which was from 1985— and realize that I knew everything then that I needed to know— and I read through it and see how true everything in there is about people and relationships— and somehow I feel there has been no linear progression in my writing, but the same themes of loss and longing just twisting down another path, and the world winding around my heart as it always has…
2. How did you come to poetry first as opposed to fiction/non-fiction
Poetry seemed like the perfect escape. I started writing in high school to let out my pained heart. It had no rules and you could do or say anything in poetry and it was acceptable. The lack of formality and how you could begin anywhere and stop in the middle of an idea or sentence gave me a sense of relief. The idea of abstraction was also appealing to me—- how you didn’t have to say things directly or logically. I felt very strange and different from everyone and felt like my thoughts were so different from other peoples’. Poetry seemed to provide an outlet for my thoughts, to talk to myself with this freedom that was not available in the world. I also became interested in surrealism then, Salvador Dali and Magritte, and I remember their work just opening up a fascinating place of possibility and inspiration which coincided with my thoughts about poems, that they were there to show a particular feeling, mood or an idea, and rationality and logic was not required.
3. How long does it take to start a project, how does your writing come out?
It is very quick, usually one fell swoop… the idea comes and I just start going. I most often get an idea or concept that I want to write about, and frequently hear the title or get obsessed with the title, such as ‘pilgrimage foliage’ and then I think of what that means and write on that. The lines usually just come to me. Recently a concept about addiction was “Addict, addict, failsafe bravery” and I took the book from there. The sound of the words provoke the writing. My process is very intuitive and irrational. I get the feeling and the sound of the phrases move me along. I rarely stop to think about anything along the way. It is basically an experience of free-writing or some sort of stream of consciousness within the frame of the title concept. A funny thing is that I frequently use vocabulary that I am not quite sure of the meaning and I end up having to look up certain words after. The final process usually just involves cutting sections that don’t fit but I don’t typically re-write anything. One thing that annoys me is that all of my books seem to be one long tale so it feels like there are no separate individual poems that stand alone. They all seem to belong solely to the context of that project/idea. When people ask me to send them work I feel like I have nothing to send!
( This seemed to combine questions3/4)
5. Are readings an important part of writing?
I love to do readings. I wish that I could do more because my poetry is best heard aloud. There is something about the intensity and rhythm that belongs to my writing which of course cannot be fully conveyed on the page. It is very gratifying to read my work to others because people always come up to me after and are sincerely moved by the work. I also enjoy the social aspect of giving readings because it allows me to come out into the world and be around other poets.
6. Theoretical concerns/questions I am trying to answer
Of course I have concerns about the state of the world and the effect it has on the individual. How do we attempt to make peace with our circumstances? How can things be so unfair and unright? How do we come to terms with such grave inequities? I have always been an overly emotional person who is deeply affected by injustices. Perhaps that comes out in my writing.
7. Current role of writer in larger culture?
The above answer addresses this question I would say. To acknowledge the state of the world and put words to it in any way possible. To also recognize the beautiful moments. To capture what passes by unseen. To pause. To express what the heart holds. To evoke some level of tenderness.
8. Working with editor
Important for objectivity. Good to be open minded. Often working in the context of your own head so it is helpful for another to intervene on your behalf for the sake of the project!
9. Recent best piece of advice I heard was from poet Andrea Gibson.
“I choose to be amazed by this world.
I choose to put my attention on what is astonishing, because doing so makes every other part of my life better.”
10. What kind of writing routine do you have?
I have absolutely no writing routine. I am the most ADD, un-disciplined, disorganized writer one can be. If it comes, it comes, if not, oh well. Perhaps I should be more seriously committed but that has always been my problem with everything. If there is any semblance of routine it is randomly writing in my notebook when I am overly emotional, desperate, and upset. Sometimes poetry comes out of this process.
11. So therefore this idea of ‘stalled’ writing is impertinent here but when I feel unable or incapable of getting inspired I make visual or hands on projects that are creative such as decopauge or tie dye or making poetry collages with word phrases and color samples from the paint store or reading poetry.
12. I love vanilla or coconut. They are calming and peaceful and sweet and remind me that things will be okay.
13. Any other forms that influence your work science or nature or visual art.
Yes, visual art and also history and geography. I like maps and reading childrens’ social study books. I collaborate with my friends who are visual artists and make projects together and they often do the covers of my books. Of course nature as I love bird watching and collecting rocks and fossils.
14. What writers or writing are important to your work.
My friend the writer and artist Scott Macleod is an important inspiration to my writing. I was long time friends with the poet Linda Gregg and her ideas and writing shaped my poetry sensibility and sensitivity. I love Forrest Gander’s work. Phoebe Gloeckner is a creative genius to me. Rumi and Rilke are my constants.
15. What I haven’t done is win a great big financial blessing of a prize for writing. Wouldn’t that be wonderful.
16. Any other occupation I would be an archaeologist and dig up ruins. Or I would be a florist making arrangements and delivering flowers.
17. What made you write as opposed to doing something else.
Writing seemed what I liked to do best and also what was easiest for me to do. I was a professor of English for 30 years because that was the only way to make money remotely related to writing.
18. Last great book was Forrest Gander’s Mojave Ghost. Stunning writing there. Movie I just watched was Holy Days with Judy Davis.
19. What am I working on now?
A poetry book, ‘addict, addict, failsafe bravery’ and several concurrent memoirs.
No comments:
Post a Comment