Friday, October 11, 2024

12 or 20 (second series) questions with Gitz Crazyboy

Gitz Crazyboy M.Ed (he/him/his) is a Siksikaitsitapi (Blackfoot) and Dene father and Indigenous Educator from Mohkínsstsisi (Calgary). Gitz’s passion and purpose is helping, guiding and most importantly, learning from the next generation, and he has held many positions within the youth education profession.

As an activist, Gitz is known for his leadership and participation in establishing the Bear Clan Patrol in Calgary, as well as organizing with the Idle No More movement. He has spent most of his life learning and living with different Indigenous Nations around the world. His travels have taken him to Germany, Ecuador, Guyana, Puerto Rico and sacred spaces all over North America.

Currently Gitz resides in Calgary and is actively reconnecting with his Siksikaits-itapi roots. He believes the truth of who we are can be found in the beautiful things our ancestors carried—riddles, mysteries, ceremonies, songs, medicine, love, life and laughter.

1 - How did your first book change your life? How does your most recent work compare to your previous? How does it feel different?
My first book was a challenge, the idea, the vision and the support was all over the place at all times. I had to confront a lot of self-doubt and discover the discipline to not only start but complete a book.  Not completing a story, whether it's a novel, novella or short story, is a trap a lot of us fall into. It was cathartic to finish it. When it was done and finalized, you have to let it go and however the world accepts it they accept it.  Thankfully, people loved it enough they wanted me to write more.

My most recent work is similar in that, I am writing stories in the celebration of our people.  I love stories about journeys, I love the thick and thin of walking pathways, getting lost and hopefully finding yourself.

This is a different kind of journey and a different kind of story, based loosely on a Siksikaitsitapi boy dreaming about becoming a Doctor.  There was so many parallels I found that our people endure and go through in their academic careers. And I just love that so many people now are identifying with the main character or the characters found throughout this story.  When people say, "That was me or this person reminds me of my uncle" It really hits home.

2 - How did you come to fiction first, as opposed to, say, poetry or non-fiction?
Back to the Future and Ferdinand really impacted me. They were the first real fiction stories that transported me into a different world with rules and mythology. I remember thinking I could have been one of Marty McFly's peers or an audience member watching Ferdinand the bull. But you know, Bull fighting from a Siksikaitsitapi perspective is such an insanely sad and tragic story and in this world there is this Bull who'd rather love then get violent, always spoke to me.  Where do we find these moments of peace and create these space of love when were at the mercy of a world we didn't construct.

3 - How long does it take to start any particular writing project? Does your writing initially come quickly, or is it a slow process? Do first drafts appear looking close to their final shape, or does your work come out of copious notes?
The start takes as long as it does, which can be very long or very short and it all depends on my attitude and enthusiasm. Sometimes the idea for the story is a moment inspired by a song, thought, turn of phrase, poem, movie, memory or where ever ideas come from.  Sometimes I see the ending and am inspired of how a character would get there or sometimes its the middle of the story and I wonder both how they got there and where they're going. Writing can be slow and it can be fast, the hardest thing to do often is just sit infront of the computer or have your writing utensil in hand and just put down letter after letter or word after word.

Drafts are drafts, try not to get too married to the ideas because some are great and others aren't.  In the flow of telling a story, just write it out see where it goes and if it works it works and if it doesn't, let it go and put it in the memory box you can return to later on in a different part of this story or a completely different story altogether.  Sometimes when I am discovering or shaping a character and their motivation, I'll write an extra scene that isn't ever intended to go into the actual story but it something for me to draw upon when I am wondering what my character would do or should do or cannot do. I do have a drawer of B-stories and scenes or things i call five minute adventures.

I do know one thing, your story gets better with each draft and then at some point it starts becoming worse. You have to know when to write and when to stop and that comes with a few people who know stories and whom you trust.

4 - Where does a work of fiction usually begin for you? Are you an author of short pieces that end up combining into a larger project, or are you working on a "book" from the very beginning?
Fiction begins in moments of life where I hit a line of possibilities that I cannot move forward on or imagine is happening. The stop light is red, what happens if I took a step forward, would a portal open up, would i get hit by a car, would the vehicles suddenly be repelled by me, what if this was the moment of realization that everything was an illusion, theres almost an infinite possibilities of what would happen if I took a step and also if I didn't take a step. I'm also sure, every guy has put himself in the shoes of, "What would happen if this bank was robbed, and I as a customer was stuck in it, what would I do?"

I have scenes and moments I write out and hope they fit in a story and if not, they go into the drawer.
I love getting stuck when writing, I'll think about it, re-read it and then something happens, I have no idea what it is but a light turns on and I have a way out or a way to move forward.

5 - Are public readings part of or counter to your creative process? Are you the sort of writer who enjoys doing readings?
I love to engage with people, I love hearing the responses and I love doing readings.  I think mainly, there are some amazing insights people share with you. It's this exchange of words and whatever it is that ignites in their brains.
 
6 - Do you have any theoretical concerns behind your writing? What kinds of questions are you trying to answer with your work? What do you even think the current questions are?
Things generally don't age well, and I wonder where and when that moment will be for the things I've created.  When things become dated and with that the nostalgia of the time, and then even that fades as it becomes a fairy tale word.

I don't know if I'm necessarily answering questions, its more of an explanation or exploration of ideas and themes.

The current question if there is one, is how these characters endure and get through it or they dont and how does the world respond, if it does indeed respond at all.

7 – What do you see the current role of the writer being in larger culture?
We tell stories, we tell truths, we tell lies, we hold up a mirror and sometimes we do a great job holding the mirror and sometimes we do a terrible job. Whatever you are meant to see, you see and if we can evoke your imagination and get you to at least wonder what lies within the darkness or within the light, then weve done our job.

8 - Do you find the process of working with an outside editor difficult or essential (or both)?

It's a challenge, but at the foundation of it must be trust. I love who I worked with, they were God's blessing. The relationship is key and they can push you to do better or at least a little clearer about what you're trying to say. A good editor will challenge you, a terrible editor will tell you everything is beautiful as the ship is going or gone down. Who would you rather have, the person helping you to right the ship or the person too afraid to tell you a terribly high waterfall is coming.

9 - What is the best piece of advice you've heard (not necessarily given to you directly)?
100% of the time, when someone tells you there something wrong with a specific part of the story, they are 100% right.

100% of the time, when someone tells you exactly how to fix a specific part of the story, they are 100% wrong.

10 - What kind of writing routine do you tend to keep, or do you even have one? How does a typical day (for you) begin?
I write better at night and I wish I could write throughout the day. (I say this as I am writing well into the dusk meeting dark hours)

11 - When your writing gets stalled, where do you turn or return for (for lack of a better word) inspiration?
Experimental music that's not quite jazz but also doesn't follow any rules of verse, chorus, verse. I like movies that break rules of storytelling (Adaptation from Charlie Kaufman,  Stranger than Fiction or something brilliant from different cultures Sanjuro, Sword of Doom)

12 - What fragrance reminds you of home?

Stew and Bannock

13 - David W. McFadden once said that books come from books, but are there any other forms that influence your work, whether nature, music, science or visual art?
We are oral storytellers, our creation stories, ceremonies, song, victory, medicines is ongoing and infinite encyclopedia of knowledge. Everything is an influence and everything is trying to communicate with you.

14 - What other writers or writings are important for your work, or simply your life outside of your work?
Helen Knott, Tasha Spillett, Richard Wagamese, Mark Tilsen, Tanya Tagaq, Tommy Orange and even the writings of students I've worked with, or cousins and family who havent shared their beautiful stories with the world.

15 - What would you like to do that you haven't yet done?
Write a movie, A tv show, a video game, start a band, purchase a house, and make peace with some folks that I'll never see eye to eye with.

16 - If you could pick any other occupation to attempt, what would it be? Or, alternately, what do you think you would have ended up doing had you not been a writer?
I mean, writing is my side hustle. I love being an Artist Educator. If I could pick another profession than that, I would have continued to be an outdoor guide.

17 - What made you write, as opposed to doing something else?
I am making the stories I've always wanted to read as a kid, as a teen and now as an adult.

18 - What was the last great book you read? What was the last great film?

The Shadow of the Wind - is amazing.

Frybread Face and Me - Indigenous royalty.

19 - What are you currently working on?

Something super top secret ;)

12 or 20 (second series) questions;

No comments: