Monday, February 13, 2006

David Cation's angels on bank street + Jessica Smith



Thanks to literary starlet John W. MacDonald, I finally have the cover photos of the artwork I wanted for my 12th trade poetry collection, aubade, out this fall from Broken Jaw Press. They're two paintings by ex-pat Ottawa artist David Cation that hang over Wilde's on Bank Street just at Gilmour. A collection built as a sequence of sequences, it includes pieces such as my "sex at 31" poem (an extension of the series started by McKinnon & Fawcett, & originally published as a chapbook by above/ground press), "a translation: stones & ice" (published as a chapbook by Greenboathouse Books), "irregular heartbeats" (originally published as an issue of STANZAS), and "death & trauma: a deliberate play of births & endings" (perpetually "forthcoming" as a chapbook by Jason Christie's Yard Press). Composed in 2000-2001, I've been looking forward to this collection appearing for some time.



Apparently copies of my Stride book, name , an errant appear in my mailbox in a few weeks. You can either order copies through here, or send me a $20 (outside Canada, $20 US) & I'll make sure you get a copy.

On another note, Jessica Smith's above/ground press chapbook Shifting Landscapes is finally out. Send me the usual, $5 (payable to me), & I'll send you a copy. Originally from Alabama, Jessica Smith received her M.A. in Comparative Literature from SUNY Buffalo, where she participated in the Poetics Program and started the poetry magazine name. She is now a Ph.D. student in English at UBA. These poems are from her first book, Organic Furniture Cellar, which will be available from Outside Voices in April 2006.

& did you know that Oberon Press publisher/founder Michael Macklem is getting the Order of Canada, or that his Ottawa publishing house (which, in this city, seems mostly invisible) turns 40 this year? & check out the photoblog by b stephen harding; remember him? he had a chapbook published by Friday Circle, used to run The TREE Reading Series with me, & used to run graffito: the poetry poster...

No comments: